Monday, July 23, 2007

Coney Island Baby

Ah, but remember that the city is a funny place
Something like a circus or a sewer
And just remember, different people have peculiar tastes
And the Glory of love, the glory of love
The glory of love, might see you through
Yeah, but now, now
Glory of love, the glory of love
The glory of love, might see you through
Glory of love, ah, huh, huh, the glory of love...
My Coney Island baby, now(I'm a Coney Island baby, now)
~Lou Reed


So Saturday was a super-fun day. Despite not sleeping well or much the night before - damn nightmares again - I actually woke up at 7:30 and got to yoga at 10am ALL BY MYSELF. No Floating Head - she had Harry Potter book matters to attend to. This proves I am officially on my way - although I need to be consistent, one weekend alone does not a victory make. But I'm confident I shall succeed with this goal. Because I find myself really looking forward to it - just like the meditation class and how I've carried that into becoming a daily, neccessary habit, I find myself a bit addicted to how it makes you feel - I know I'm going to feel happy and joyful and good about myself and so its a guaranteed win-win situation. And I made a friend. I got there a little early and there was an older man sitting on the bench outside, so I plopped down to eat my banana and soak up the lovely morning air before going up to get changed and he said, "you just missed it! It was a movie moment, this huge white bird with large wings just flew by, really low to the ground, down the street, it was so beautiful!" I looked around but didn't see anything so he said, "let's sit here awhile and maybe it will come back and you'll get to see what I saw". So we started talking and he said he started coming to Integral in 1972 and it was 3$ a class then and he got all the way to Hatha III and then he stopped doing yoga and just recently started it up again. He is in his 70's and lives on Carmine Street and walks here to class on Saturdays and Sundays - "at my age, I can't hope to get up to Hatha III anymore, but this is perfect for me". I told him how I was just starting out and that I really enjoyed coming here and it makes me feel so peaceful but that I tend to start things up and then drop them and really wanted to make this a part of my life now and he just smiled at me and said "its all about perspective. Just make up your mind that you are going to do it, that its not a chore, and you will." Do I now have my own personal Yoga Yoda? I hope so :-) We decided it was time to head up to class and he opened the door for me and up the stairs we went.

Later on in the afternoon, I headed out to Coney Island (hence the Lou Reed song for you) to see the Brooklyn Cyclones play the Tri-City Valley Cats (the Cyclones are the Mets minor league team) and after the game we walked on the boardwalk and played some games - I won a big purple bear, went on the WonderWheel (which Floating Head did NOT like - although she and The Others went on the Cyclone, so figure that out!), played some more games and then headed home, the long F train ride...

And today its a rainy rainy muggy muggy, slighty chilly Monday - but I like this weather, so I'm not complaining and I'm interested to see what this week brings me. If its all about perspective like my Yoga Yoda said, then I think I need to expect something good and keep focused on that, not the lack of things or what I'm missing or don't currently have, etc... how does that sound to you guys?

0 comments: