Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobble gobble - But Let's Be Pigs!!

Lesson learned this Thanksgiving? That to make homemade gravy from turkey drippings, let alone the rest of a really excellent feast, it takes a village. Or in this case, two sisters and one Las Vegas chick. Here's how it breaks down.

You need:
#1 to hold the roasting pan and ferociously whisk the roux into the drippings until it is at the desired thickness/amount and then pour as
#2 holds the gravy boat and strainer as
#3 puts her arms around and in between both 1 and 2 to help spoon it all out and into gravy boat so that none spills.

Keep in mind, all three persons are on their second glass of wine as well.

Result? Yummy Gravy!

But it was fun, lots of giggling and watching (and drooling) over Steve and Grant on the Ghost Hunters marathon (I like Grant, Elba likes Steve), and of course the Eating of the Food. The food was awesome - Ms. Jany is an wonderful hostess and I have to say, her turkey was one of the best I think I've ever had. I baked two pies, an apple and a pumpkin, met Elba on the G ("lady with the pies!"..."where is the rest of the train?") at my train station and then we were off to Forest Hills - she made this sweet potato dish that was yummy - the smell alone needs to be marketed. Perhaps a Pier One Reed and Oil Set in "Essence of Floating Head" in the future? So all of this, plus corn, plus green beans, plus stuffing, plus mashed potatoes with goat cheese, plus plus plus..oooh plus WINE (can't forget that) and even more silliness and giggling. Really, a wonderful day - so thanks to the Lozano-Crespos for including me in their family celebrations - truly one of the best Turkey Days I've had in a long time!

And so, because it takes a village, remember to be thankful for your village...and I am...this has been an utterly CRAPFILLED week and I was not really in the holiday mood but my little village seems to pull through for me when it counts and so thank you thank you thank you - I am blessed with good friends and family, indeed.

Now it's onto removing the crap and moving on and not letting anything or anyone ruin my favorite time o' the year...Christmas is officially ON! And as the saying goes, fake it until you make it and so I'm going to fake my way into the good mood I was in just one week ago and just watch it come back to me.

0 comments: