Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Culture Club Has Reformed Without Boy George!

And I'm now the lead singer...ha ha... just joshing, y'all..since my recent weekends seem to have involved museums or "culture" of some sort and a food or coffee or beverage component, we - meaning myself, Floating Head and Jany - decided it would be prudent to form an association of sorts to promote the betterment of ourselves via learning about other cultures, societies, eras, religions, etc, either through food or any other means available to us. For instance: we went to the Merchant House Museum which is New York City's only family home preserved intact — inside and out — from the 19th century - this was super cool and I highly recommend it - they are also one the most "haunted" NYC locations and we tried doing EVP work (give me a sign of your presence?) but alas, the spirits were not active. I did smell wood smoke the whole time I was there and Floating Head did not - later on, I read the little book I bought there about the hauntings in the house and that was one of the things that was reported when spirit activity occurred...so maybe something was with us after all.....

This weekend, I went to yoga both days again - I'm so proud of myself for that, so I have to toot my own horn just a bit - toot toot...I have so little self discipline, so I'm pleased that two weeks in a row, I've been a good girl. On Saturday, I met Cousin Megan at Target where I bought super cute spring shoes for only 15 bucks and I can't wait to wear them...Mom, these are like Easter Shoes, remember when we used to buy special Easter Shoes and such? So cute, with ladybugs and flowers... Then we saw In Bruges which we both LOVED - hysterical and bloody and sad and so well acted and well written - we were amazed with Colin Farrell for the first time - normally I think of him as a smelly, STD-riddled icky party boy actor and in this he was so funny and so touching. So we gave it two thumbs up. Sunday was a Culture Club Day. From yoga, we went on to brunch at Agave and then went to the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian - which is free, FYI - and is near Wall Street and in the old US Custom House, which is a beautiful old building all by itself, without the cool exhibits inside. We had some fun sweeping down the spiral staircases pretending to be Scarlett O'Hara's making our debuts into society, to the amusement of the the security guard.

And on Monday, President's Day, I rested. All this culture can wear a person out so I needed to just be At Home for a bit.

What's upcoming, you ask? Why, this weekend, it looks to be Japanese Buddhist Art http://www.shinjoito.com/ - and then dinner at The Orchard. Exciting, non?!

0 comments: