Thursday, February 05, 2009

I have the croup! I am cherry alive!

My mother laughed at me when I said that...she says - knowingly - that only small babies get the croup, but SORRY - the definition of it in my medical book says if you have a low-grade fever, aches, fatigue, and a cough that sounds like a barking seal, then you have the croup...so there!

Okay, maybe I just have bronchitis or some sort of respiratory infection. Fine. I don't feel WELL. And it's cold, oh so cold but it supposed to warm up soon...its getting into my very bones, this winterness. I may crack like a frozen twig if this keeps up...I shivered in anticipation this morning when I awoke to the guy on 1010WINS exclaiming "...with a real-feel factor of 3..."!

Anyway - this poem by Delmore Schwartz ALWAYS makes me feel good...its very ME...hope it makes you feel good too:

I Am Cherry Alive
“I am cherry alive!”the little girl sang.

Each morning I am something new:
I am apple, I am plum, I am just as excited
As the boys who made the Hallowe’en bang:
I am tree, I am cat, I am blossom too:
When I like, if I like, I can be something new,
Someone very old, a witch in a zoo:
I can be someone else whenever I think who,
And I want to be everything sometimes too:
And the peach has a pit and I know that too,
And I put it along with everything
To make the grown-ups laugh whenever I sing:
And I sing: It is true; It is untrue;
I know, I know, the true is untrue,
The peach has a pit, the pit has a peach:
And both may be wrong when I sing my song,
But I don’t tell the grown-ups: because it is sad,
And I want them to laugh just like I do
Because they grew up and forgot what they knew
And they are sure I will forget someday too.
They are wrong. They are wrong. When I sang my song, I knew, I knew!
I am red, I am gold, I am green, I am blue,
I will always be me, I will always be new!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allie has had a fever and cough for over 4 days. Took her to the MD. FLU!! They are just getting cases here. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

and I just had a conversation with Mommy about how I never get flu shots because I never get the flu...this isn't as debilitating as the flu so that's why I said I think I just have the croup :-)