Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Howdy Y'All Part Deux

Sunday morning and it was time to check out of San Antonio, but not before breaking for some breakfast tacos and a few hours with the SuperHysterical (it must run in the genes) Little Buddy's Brother Marcos and his lovely family. Something about those darn Delgados that makes my face and stomach hurt from TML syndrome (Too Much Laughter). From there, we changed into swimwear and sunscreened up and headed to the Guadalupe River for inner-tubing. Thankfully - for both you and for me - there are no photos of the next 3 hours in existence. But I kinda wish someone had videotaped us - talk about Lucy and Ethel! The river was a tad low so we kept bottoming out and getting stuck and then I was scared at first to let go of Veronica/Lucy but when faced with getting dragged through a humongous dead white gutspilled fish, I let go and floated away, just like the good Ethel that I am - I did cling to a vine by the side of the river to wait to see if Lucy could escape the gross mess and we were reunited again downstream (FRIEND! You did find me!) I did discover the power, the strength of my butt muscles though because I developed a method of rocking back and forth while clenching them to power us up and away when we got stuck - so HURRAH for my ass!! It made an excellent move or two. The only bad moment came for me when I was using the tube rental restroom before we left, I had a nightmare come true - that I'd one day be sitting on a toilet and the door would fling open for the whole world to see. Except this time, since I was wearing a bathing suit, you need to declothe to go so I'm sitting on it completely naked. And the door flings open. And there is the parking lot. I lept up - naked - and screamed "CLOSE THE DOOR!!!!!!!"

It happened so quickly I don't think much was seen...but still...

We looked like river rats at the end of our adventure, so we headed to Gruen, a
a historic mill town - complete with grist mill (sounds Dickensian, doesn't it?) which is now a restaurant overlooking the trees and the river and we had supper here. But first we checked into a bed & breakfast, called Oma Gruen's Inn, looked around some of the little shops and had a good night's sleep and the next day, headed back on our way to Dallas.

0 comments: