Monday, October 12, 2009

Peaceful, lovely moment (um, hour and a half really) sitting in Central Park reading this weekend - I like Literary Walk because of the multiple trees overhead and the large bronze statues look impressive watching over all of us - I have a thing with statues, I always picture them getting up off of their pedestals and coming to life - and also because for some reason, it's mostly people strolling through but not stopping to sit, so the benches are generally clear so therefore it's quiet. But I stopped this time mostly because there was a young man playing the cello there which I love - violin and cello can do no wrong to my ears - and so it's me and the pretty music and a chill in the autumn air and things feel good, don't they? I read for a while but the peoplewatching is also good there.

In the midst of all this calm reverie, a little boy comes running and yelling up to this statue that I was sitting right across from, cracking me up to no end:


"WHO IS THAT, DADDY, IS THAT GOD, IS IT, IS THAT GOD, WHO IS IT, IS THAT GOD, IS IT???!!!!"

Ha!!!!!!! But let him believe it is God, I say, then he has a nice place in the park to come and pray or sit and meditate or whatever he wants or needs. It's some poet actually I've never heard of, Fitz-Greene Halleck. He seems to have a kind but stern, intelligent face, seems respectable and upright and those are all qualities a God should have right?

So now, when I walk past him, I shall always give him a little wave, a tip of my hat and say "hi there, God..nice to see you again, looking well as usual...how's the missus?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of think "god" looks like a swarts--very ridged. SP? After all, you have a great Aunt that looks like a man----

Aleena the Cleric said...

Well you are always saying JESUS CHRIST CHARLIE to Daddy so it would follow that God is a Swarts, wouldn't it...

It was very cute to see that little boy get so excited about seeing God in Central Park though!