Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Massage that Kale

So in an attempt to get my cheeks rosy again, my pruneface diminished, my all-encompassing "glow" back, I'm trying to be sooperdooper healthy girl. So that means doing things that I know work for me, that I know make me feel good and right as rain (or sun) in my skin.

Last night's dinner is a good example. I massaged some kale with toasted sesame oil, some mirin, a splash of teriyaki, threw in some dried cranberries and walnuts, sprinkled ground flax on top and you have a raw veggie delight. Why massage? I learned about that in a class I took 2 years ago at the yoga place and it's a good way to keep the greens - which are a bit tough - raw to get the maximum vitamins & minerals but breaks them down enough to tenderize and changes the flavor slightly. I like it cooked as well but this was QUITE tasty (and I took a photo because it

looked pretty - those garnet berries!) and I felt good after so that one goes in the books. And my teacher talked about sort of praying into it while you are massaging it so that when you digest it, you are "eating" the love you put into it, so to speak. I just like that idea a whole lot, sort of like when you say grace before the meal but this is while you are making the food - it makes sense. And then if you know about all the Emoto stuff with the water crystals (which I'm fascinated by) well than let us think good thoughts over everything, yes?

YES! (I know, it's all sort of hippie-dippie-new-agey stuff, but I like all that so I'm fine with trying it.) Plus, as Veronica will attest - things taste best when made with love - during college, the UFM Coffee Guy ALWAYS made his coffee with love and when we saw him behind the counter, we knew a good cup was coming up and would make us study better. Right. It all trickles down to other things.

And then here at work we have today's delights, including kombucha, some supergreen powder, a teaspoon of organic molasses in hot water (instead of afternoon coffee - it's got a ton of iron and magnesium), and of course - a big fat slice of cake.


YUM. Got to keep it all in balance, right? All work and no play makes Nik a dull person. So let me eat cake!

Now to balance it, I'm thinking roasted asparagus for dinner...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all very lovely and healthy. Good for you! I want you to feel precious :-D

Hey, how's this for balance? I went to my second spin class of the week, then made the mistake of not eating dinner before attending a very long school board meeting. So what happened? I had a Sonic combo on the way home of course! At 11:00 PM. :-/

Nicole said...

I feel precious and very green, the greenness is oozing out my pores...hey I had a glass of wine with the kale, hows that for balance?

Were they blasing Wind Beneath My Wings at Sonic or is that just at the custard place? :-)

Anonymous said...

They were actually playing Dancing Queen...as if I needed any more reason to eat there! :-D