Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Psychology of Good Hair

I had sort of an weirdly anxious week. What I realized in getting "The Hair" chopped off was that "The Hair" was totally acting as a security blanket, something to hide behind. Coming into work on Monday, I suddenly felt very exposed so I'm guessing that "The Hair" had made me feel very something all these years - secure? Girly (because I'm not really girly)? I never had really long hair before and while I did like it, that hair was old - it's been around for years. So cutting it off made me feel like it was a good omen, a fresh start perhaps, a portentous ritual for Spring? Something like that. In any case, it's something that has made me feel better (so far) and much more comfortable in my skin in some ways. I could be wrong, but I think it suits my personality better.

I feel ... lighter.

We'll see how long the good vibe surrounding it lasts - you know me ... all it will take is one bad photo of it or one terrible hair day to ruin my love of it and for my raised self-esteem to come crashing down. I crumble easily in such situations.

However, I seem to be better at picking up my pieces and putting them back together again; quicker about the task, too. Has the puzzle gotten easier or am I just more skilled?

0 comments: