Friday, October 07, 2005

Happy Birthday (almost) To Me

Tomorrow is my birthday but the celebrations are starting already...like I got this supercool stuff from Veronica: a storybook in Hawaiian pidgin, which made me giggle when I tried to read it out loud, a book on Pele, the Volcano goddess ( some of you may know, I have a tattoo on my left shoulder that is a petroglyph of Ka'po, who is Pele's sister..she lives in a cave on Maui, which is where I had the tattoo done..see, it's the ultimate souvenir), and this wooden fish shaped piece from New Zealand that I think is called a patu - a Maori club? Veronica will have to verify!! And she sent me the violet candy and gum that I love and a Napoleon Dynamite keychain that cracks me up "I like your sleeves, they're really big". And, most of all, she bought me the Best of Bread...that's all I'm going to say, it's an inside joke and no further comment is needed. The only thing better would have been the Anthology of Bread...but Mother Swarts already owns that... hee hee...

Today, my boss and two coworkers gave me the most beautiful bouquet of flowers - it really is gorgeous, I've never received such a nice bouquet before (and I think I've only been given flowers 3 times before, so I think I know!) and Magpie gave me a whole box of Godiva chocolates, Floating Head crocheted a purple scarf for me, and Vox bought me a Blockheads Birthday Lunch (see "This Bird Has Flown" for the rapture that is "Blockhead's Friday's - she describes the feelings and anticipation of this day to a tee!) and it's just been a really lovely day. Now I'm about to go and meet Megan at a restaurant she and I have been meaning to try for a long time called Candela (mostly for it's gothic atmosphere) and then we are going to see a performance at Symphony Space by Sufjan Stevens, a singer that she loves and I'm just getting to know...I think I do like him...and it doesn't hurt that he is INCREDIBLY good-looking. Tomorrow I'm off to a joint birthday party my friend is having for all the October babies she knows and then Sunday, it's brunch with The Good Egg.

And...I was supposed to go to jury duty today, but I read the website wrong last night and never showed up...so I called them and said I was sick and they said I'd hear from them in another 4-6 months...DAMN!!

0 comments: