Monday, April 24, 2006

Disappointment, Anger, and the Hair Eater

This weekend, I did very little..but that's okay, I'm feeling a little weary so I thought I'd rather be easy-going now so that I can gear up for the months ahead - The Move! It's funny to me, because since I found out that I had to move, the Devil Upstairs and the Crazy People Downstairs have been soooo quiet...so quiet that I almost thought "well maybe I should stay?" but...this past week, they've been terrible and in essence (ha ha - HELMUT!) reinforcing my desire to move and finally have some peace!
So: Friday - I watched the Mets WIN - woo hoo! and then to bed early...so that I could get up and look at some apartments, none of which were very nice or worthy of me and my cool stuff and I was disappointed because I thought maybe maybe one of these places might work for me and I'd be done... then I met up with the Stanley Family and got some cuddles and playtime in with Mr. James ... then Sunday I was up early again to get ready for some people and realtors to come by and look at my apartment - and anger followed because NO ONE SHOWED UP. I move my plans around for these appointments and they don't even bother to call and let me know they aren't coming??? TO HELL WITH YOU THEN!!! So I decided I'm not going to make myself very available to show the apartment anymore...I told them this time I'd be there from 10-3 and that's giving them far too much leeway. From now I'm giving them one hour, one day a week and if they can't make it, tough on them. This has happened at least 4 times already and it's annoying - it's not my apartment, it's not my responsibility, so why do I care? The only thing I'm responsible for is finding my own apartment, I don't care if he sells it or not...whew! Okay, I'm done with that venting session...next it was off to Film Forum in Soho to meet Cousin Megan and we saw an old Roman Polanski film with Catherine Deneuve called Repulsion which was pretty creepy and weird - and we had a celebrity sighting! Willem Dafoe was there, but he went to see Days of Heaven, not our choice...he's TINY...really short, not that much taller than me and super scrawny...afterwards, we walked to Sephora where I finally was able to purchase my Rouge Du Monde - a pretty perfect all-around lipstick color - and then I was homeward bound...on the train was the grossest lady - SHE WAS EATING HER HAIR. It was making me gag to sit next to her once I realized what she was doing so I had to move, but then I was also strangely facinated by her so I kept glancing over because I was curious. She was perfectly "normal" looking, not like some crazy homeless lady you see on the E train in the mornings (that train seems to be a favorite of homeless people and junkies), very well-groomed and hip-looking actually and she was listening to her iPod and then she just started to space out and she didn't look "all there" and she started to play with her hair repetitively and that's when I noticed what she was really doing: she would pull a few strands out, look at them intently, roll them up and stick them in her mouth and chew on them like gum. Then, she would pull out the wad and look at it again, chew some more, and then swallow it. She would repeat this every minute and she seemed so spaced out while she was pulling it out, she didn't even seem to be aware that she was doing it and that everyone on our side of the car was looking at her strangely. I've heard of some "hair pulling" disorder and I think I read something about people who eat their hair as well...so anyway, it was sort of in keeping with the theme of the creepy movie I had just watched, so that sort of capped the night off well :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a truly insightful weekend,

Anonymous said...

better than my weekend, i was home sick THE WHOLE TIME!!!

Anonymous said...

There was sleeping homeless dude on the E train this morning who was a bit smelly, so everybody gave him a wide berth. Every time we stopped at a station, though, I would see all these hopeful faces getting into the car - "Woo hoo, available seats!" - immediately followed by expressions of crushing dissapointment when they realized the cost of sitting in those empty seats!

That's the E Train!

(I didn't see E Train Love - more's the pity)

Aleena the Cleric said...

is Anonymous making fun of me and my oh so boring weekend??? I believe HE is...if I'm right in assuming who HE is...if it is HIM, I had a good phone call from him to top off my weekend which turned me into Lady Laughington :-)

And if its not HIM - bah to you!!

Anonymous said...

its not him and i am the mystery writer to you.

Aleena the Cleric said...

HMMMM...the mystery writer...who would mock me and my boring (yet insightful) weekend? WHO??? REVEAL YOURSELF!!! Or don't...

Maybe it's Snow White? Or Mommie Dearest? Dan Sandwich?

Anonymous said...

Sorry I hadn't looked in a few days. No it is neither snow white nor dan sandwich!! Unsure of your mystery mocker. If handsome unattached male then maybe he will spice up your boring life???