Monday, June 25, 2007

I've heard the mermaids singing...

And they did sing to me, unlike J. Alfred Prufrock http://www.uvm.edu/%7Esgutman/Eliot.htm - and they were beautiful… let me tell you how AWESOME the Mermaid Parade was! This is destined to become an annual event for me, it was so colorful and everyone was so full of energy and creativity, with lots of the cutest little girls dressed up as mermaids (as well as adults actually, male and female) and Chia Pet and I got some great ideas for things to do next year – I don’t know if we would do full out costumes, but face painting and some funky hair might be in order. I’ll be posting pictures later so you can get an idea of what I’m talking about, but this is really something special, something that you would only see in New York – sort of like a summer Mardi Gras on a smaller scale. Afterwards, we waded out onto the beach for awhile and got our legs and feet in the water and then headed back to have some Vietnamese food and a tea in the park. Ah the park – Union Square needs rescuing from the Rats of Unusual Size. The place is overrun with them, its really disgusting – as we sat on the bench, we kept jumping, thinking one had made it on to the bench to join our conversation or bite our heels. When I got home that night, I had to shower, I felt so creepycrawly. And a giant weirdo attacked as well. Ha. Well a tall strange man, anyhow. So we are happily sitting there peoplewatching and sipping our teas when this man walks by and he looked really sad and I just happened to catch his eye and so because he was so forlorn, I gave him a slight smile. Well, wouldn’t you know it, he comes and sits next to me and leans in and says, “I just really need a woman to help me take my mind off of another woman I met last night on a bench over there” and points to the other side of the park and goes off on this mumbled tangent that I can’t understand. I started laughing and slapped Ms. Chia on the leg and said “OK LETS GO!” and we had to find another place to sit. Such is my luck.

So tomorrow, hopefully, I will get some of the Mermaid Parade pics up, as well as some cool shots of when I was in Las Vegas – I got some great desert/mountain shots as well as spooky shots of a ghost town. Cool.

0 comments: