Friday, May 02, 2008

A Hanami Blooms in Brooklyn

What's hanami you ask? Well its Cherry Blossom Festival Time, that's what. And it's what I'll be doing this Sunday, all day. First stop is Park Slope for 11:30 brunch and unlimited mimosas (of course). Then we walk (er, stumble, depending on the number and strength of those mimosas) to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden for a celebration of those beautiful pink blossoms that only happen in springtime and look like pink snow is falling and is very magical to see them all at once on the Cherry Esplanade. Some of the events include traditional drumming, flute, and Japanese dancing, a tea ceremony, a samurai sword drama, ooh all sorts of fun times. Cherry trees and magnolia blossomings in springtime - I never knew how beautiful they were until I moved to NYC. Also, tulips and daffodils everywhere. They just APPEAR overnight somehow. Fairies or the supers in the buildings? Who can tell? I remember in college, there was a huge magnolia tree on Lehman Lawn and I was always amazed at the huge blossoms - we don't really have anything like that in Las Vegas - the heat kills them all. We had lots of beautiful roses in our front yard, but they usually didn't last long if I remember correctly - what does last in the desert? Poisonous oleander - pretty but deadly - and California poppies. We had those in the backyard near the pool and they close up and turn away from the sun during the day, as if to protect themselves, and then as the sun sets, they open up and unfurl their petals. Amazing, right? I think so.

It's been a bit chilly and cold and gray all week and is supposed to continue like this - 50's and 60's, some rain and very little sun to speak of. Last weekend was dedicated almost entirely to the Mets - we went to the game on Friday night (lost!), Saturday afternoon (WIN!) and were supposed to go on Sunday afternoon but the weather was iffy and so I watched them WIN on TV instead.

Tomorrow I do beauty day and get my grays covered, my nails done, and my neck and back massaged - all in preparation for the Chicago trip next Friday - YAY! I'm ripe for a little fun and adventure, so in classic Lucy and Ethel style, Floating Head and I will have stories to report I'm sure.

0 comments: