Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mystery Solved!!!!

I feel better...at long last! A weight lifted...oh I'm so dramatic and phony... so for the past 4 years, since I've been taking the E and V trains to work, I've seen these ladies on the train in the morning that looked like Amish ladies and I could never figure out where they were coming from and where were they going? Why are there Amish people in Queens, riding the E train? I thought they shunned all modern technology, such as steel horses and such? Am I imagining them, are they some sort of glitch in the Matrix and from another century, another dimension and somehow, being that far underground, the time-space continuum as we know it has been breached and I'm able to see them? WTF?!!!!!

As I said, I'm being dramatic. As I get off the E at 42nd Street on Sunday to transfer to the uptown 2, I see the group of them standing there, including the one woman I always see with the rosy cheeks that I think looks like how I imagine Caroline Ingalls to look, and they are handing out pamphlets...I slyly take one and keep walking with a smile because ... it's about to be revealed ... they are Mennonites and they have a church in Sugar Hill and do work at Columbia Presbyterian way uptown and they apparently have a small community in Queens:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E6DC163AF933A25753C1A9649C8B63

Apparently, I was mistaken - the subway is NOT the same thing as a time machine or like Dr. Brown's Delorean and so all is as it should be. It did remind me of Amelie when she figures out that the man in Nino's scrapbook is just the photo machine repairman though - I totally had an "A HA!" moment!!


So now I can move on to wondering about other weird things that I spy during my daily travels...whew!

0 comments: