Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fuck Off, I'm Fabulous

Great phrase, yes? I LOVE it. It's not my invention, sadly - it's from the Joanne Harris book I'm reading, "The Girl With No Shadow" and the malevolent and witchy Zozie (fab name too) teaches Anouk to say it to herself and aloud when the girls at school are being mean to her - but I find it's useful and empowering for all of us to affirm, schoolyard or not. Try it - go on. Tell me it didn't make you smile and stand up a little straighter?

Busy busy here on the last day of March, oh thankfully, the ides of March have been blowing some ill winds my way for sure - I don't know how it happened but despite the best of intentions, I spent most of this month in a mood combination that included adjectives such as: morose, blue, angry as hell, irritable, ugly mean spirited gleeful flying high yippee happy then circling back to fuck off I'm fabulous.

I don't intend April to continue in this way. Blue and morose are only good for listening to Billie Holiday while it's raining outside. But as I heard on the radio early this morning when I could not sleep - I woke up at 3:29 and didn't fall asleep until 6 something, only to have to get up at 7:30 to get to work for a 4 hour meeting at 9am -ICK - so I listened to WBAI for awhile and I heard the broadcaster say it's truly an ill wind that blows no one any good so let's move right on into April, the cruellest month of all - but let me try and prove Mr. Eliot wrong, April can and should be downright lovely - I noticed in Brooklyn this weekend - despite the coldish and stormy weather - that there are cherry and magnolia trees budding so that means some springtime beauty is just around the corner and so I'l finish this month and move on and try to turn the ill wind good, lest it turn my brown eyes blue - ah, does anyone remember that song from the 70's? Alas I have blueish/greenish eyes to begin with so it doesn't really apply to me).

Speaking of Brooklyn, I'll just share the three things at the Brooklyn Museum that impressed me most, that have stayed with me - the exhibit was "Burning Down the House: Building A Feminist Art Collection and I loved the two Kara Walker pieces - "Burning African Village Play Set with Big House and Lynching" and "Keys to the Coop" - I'd buy this in a print if they sold it:



and Kiki Smith's "Born"with Little Red Riding Hood and her Grandmother being born from the wolf - again, why don't they sell these as prints, how many Barnard Chicks like myself would totally put either one of these up on their dorm walls? No one is doing the financial thinking over there:

0 comments: