Friday, April 13, 2007

God Bless the Messenger Guy!

I always run into the same messenger guy in the elevator and he always talks to me - the first time he struck up a conversation, I thought he was flirting because he told me I "had a cute face" and that I looked like Melissa Joan Hart (a.k.a Sabrina the Teenage Witch) - I don't see it, but she's cute enough I suppose so I took it as a compliment. But the more I run into him, I saw that he does this with everyone - he's always complimenting every person he sees - both the gentlemen and the ladies - and he's super friendly and I realized - he's just a good, pleasant person. And it's effortless for him - he just feels good about life and himself and then he says something sweet or happy to someone else - complete stranger or not - and he passes it on. That person walks away smiling or feeling better in someway and then maybe goes off and does the same thing to the people he/she runs into and a pattern is created and it's contagious and pretty soon, you have a building full of shiny happy people who don't realize why they feel good, but they do, and all because of the messenger guy and his kind words.

Anyway, he makes me think of this quote:

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unaware.
~ Hebrews 13:2

I'm not saying he's an angel (or maybe I am - don't think my English major's eye didn't hold onto the whole "messenger" symbolism!) but sometimes, people say the right things to you at exactly the moment you need to hear them and when I ran into him in the elevator this morning, that happened. It doesn't matter what he said, it was meaningful to me and made me feel much better in a moment that I felt sort of discouraged and slightly sad and "oh sigh, it's Friday, wouldn't I rather be at home, still asleep".

He also encouraged me to learn Spanish (or at least visit the Dominican Republic where its so beautiful and I would no doubt pick it up in no time). When I got to the 16th floor, I thanked him and he replied "denada - God bless you and have a wonderful day"; I smiled back and waved "adios"!

Now let's see if I can pass on his good vibes to some other people today. You try too...and let me know how it works out.

0 comments: