Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Yankees Truly Suck

Okay - it's a well known fact that I despise the Yankees. I do, there's no way around it. I did however, have a lot of respect for Joe Torre and half-hoped that he would get fired or move on to another team just so I could like whatever other team he managed. After last night's antics, no more. First of all - A-Rod. That move was truly bush league - not even bush league - more like spoiled brat who cheats on his wife with she-males kind of league. And then to stand there with that smirk on your face, like a child who knows he's done something bad but couldn't care less. And that's what he said afterwards, I could care less, I just wanted to win. So the Yankees sink to a new low with that one.

Now, Jeter did the right thing afterwards by not commenting - silence often speaks volumes. He knew that was not a class act thing to do. But what does Johnny Damon say? “I wasn’t sure that was allowed,” outfielder Johnny Damon said. “If it is, maybe we’ll keep on doing it.” How about you just play better baseball and not try to distract the other team by yelling shit out like a 5 year old would do at tee ball?

The lowest of the low? Mr. Torre, who could have just said no comment, a la Jeter, and move on to the next question, but instead, took his newly acquired mealy-mouthed approach and said “I don’t know what to feel for it. It’s not like he said, ’I got it.”’ Unbelievable. Well I always knew I hated them and now I have my proof. No class and no heart. Disgusting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez, so harsh!

Well, as a practitioner in the arts of baseball (as an amatuer of course, not a professional), I must say that what he did falls into a grey area of acceptance, but it is how the game is (and should be) played.

Much like the base runner pausing in order to jump over a ground ball to distract an infielder, or a 3rd baseman obscuring the view of a runner trying to figure out when to tag up (just ask David Wright, he'll tell you), or a phantom double play on a hit & run where the ball is hit in the air, or an outfielder tryng to decoy a baserunner by faking like he's going to catch a ball before it drops, or the hiddden-ball trick or many other things, what A-Scrod did is what makes the game less robotic, less civil, more colorfull.

These types of things maintain the connection between the game we play as kids (yes, you could say that all of these tricks are childish because that's where they come from; you grow up learning to play this way) and the professional game.

I wish more people would do what A-Scrod did. One thing I can't stand is all the lovey-dovey-ness that goes on on the field. Bottom-line: if your opponent is pissed at you for something you did on the field that led to a big play, then maybe you're doing something right. You should not be friendly on the field. You're trying to beat the other guy.*

(*This is not an endorsement of A-Scrod, just about this particular play and others like it)

- Vox

Aleena the Cleric said...

Oy Vey! Well we can agree to disagree...as Ron Darling said last night, if anyone on his little league team did that, as a coach he would have benched the kid - I think working pitches, trying to steal bases, etc - all good things, smart things strategywise - the Yanks were already in a winning position and Giambi sealed the deal using his bat, not his mouth. That's the kind of sports - baseball and otherwise - I like to see. In watching all the sportstalk shows last night, I see the players and fans are pretty divided on this point so I'm going to stick to my guns and say I don't approve...it may be how some play the game but it doesn't mean it's the best way.