Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Nicole's Leek Tomato Soup

The plan last night was to make leek soup - just leeks, nothing else. It's actually the trick from that book "French Women Don't Get Fat" - making leek broth is her method to lose some water weight which is not necessarily what I was after, but if lose a little puffiness, all the more power to those leeks o'mine - I just happen to love leeks and am trying to find the best way to eat them all the time. And I bought myself a food mill, so I'm still trying to get the hang of that as well.

I simmered the slivered leeks for 45 minutes or so and then saw that I had a bunch of grape tomatoes that were on the verge of going bad so why not use them up? Waste not want not. I sliced them in half and simmered them for another 20 minutes, adding a hearty shake of herbes de provence, a teaspoon of butter, a teaspoon of chicken bouillon and some pepper and when everything was squishy enough, I passed it through the food mill which was a little messy but I'm getting there. The broth itself was awesomely tasty - if had time to let it really simmer for a few hours, it would have been out of this world but it was already 9:30 and I was starving. And I think it would be rocking as a base for a seafood soup - it sort of reminded me of bouillabaisse.

So there you go, my own creation, based on no recipe with only on my own taste buds to guide me, but isn't that the best way?

I heart homemade soup!

0 comments: