Tuesday, July 07, 2009

In Praise Of Laundromats

God bless G & L Laundry, 1 block away from my apartment...god bless and praise them forever and ever amen.

So I hate doing laundry, hate it with a passion, I try to wait and do it only when I MUST (i.e. no more underwear or socks) and so I'll break down and do it and then since I hate putting it away, it sits folded on a chair or whatever and I get all stressed about it just sitting there and since I don't like to do it, I don't really do it well, I just toss it all together whites and colors and gentles warms and colds and I get stressed about timing it all perfectly, since my building only has 3 washers and 4 dryers and it often turns into a whole afternoon into evening affair, oh it's just too MUCH FOR THIS GIRL TO HANDLE.

Especially when she's been sick for the whole month of June and is still feelig weakish. So I decided to do something I've never done before - I dropped the whole lot off and let someone else do it. And when I picked it up, I realized this laundry for me was like a grilled cheese sandwich. Only my mother can make me grilled cheese sandwiches, she gets the right amount of butter on the bread and gets the cheese melted just so and the bread browns perfectly and it just tastes divine. If I make myself one, its fine, it's alright, it's melted cheese on toast ... but it's not my mother's.

The same is true for laundry. When I go home and my mother does the laundry, everything smells good and feels good and is folded correctly. When I do it, it's just, well it's clean but that's about all you can say about it. I just don't care enough to take the time to do it right. But this bag of laundry smelled so good and fresh and soft (is that a hint of lavender?) and each item was so wonderfully folded and ready to go right into my closet or drawers and boom! like that - laundry, the chore, my burden - was complete. Why I might just do a weekly load if its like this!

Oh G & L, I do believe you've just become my luxury item - yes, you cost double what it costs me to do it myself but to be honest...I can't be bothered.

That's it, that's the most exciting item from the past week - the past month really. Me and my dirty clothes. Let's hope for a more exciting July, shall we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no more inside out undies? congrats! yo mama

Nikki the Pooh said...

GROSS!!!!!! EVE did that not ME!!!!!