Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Heard But Not Seen...

That is the theme for the Fourth of July this year...because we set out with very good intentions to meet up in Brooklyn Heights to watch the fireworks by the water...and we walked towards the promenade and stood there for a bit..and then we noticed that the line at Grimaldi's was remarkably short...and our stomachs realized we all hadn't really eaten all day...and so we shrugged our shoulders as the fireworks started with a "seen it already" attitude and ordered some fine pepperoni pizza and beer... and we could HEAR the fireworks and the oohs and aahs...but still a lovely evening all the same, after everyone left the pier, we headed out to stand by the water and talk until close to midnight and then we all went our separate ways home... a nice day off all and all...I napped and/or read for a good part of it - lovely!

Also: a couch has been purchased and will arrive next week! So I no longer have to sit on my aerobed when watching Mets games in my living room...or Gone With the Wind for 4 hours on Saturday, now THAT was not very comfortable...

Today? I'm tired. Because by the time I got home, due to R train issues, it was after 1 a.m. and I get a little keyed up at night anyway, plus I had taken multiple naps, so needless to say, I wasn't super tired (but I was kind of sweaty because some of us walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge and a bit more before getting ont) so after a shower I laid on the aerobed for awhile and watched The Piano, one of my absolute favorite films but alas could not stay up for all of it, I needed SOME sleep before work today...so I have it on DVD, I'll have to maybe finish it up tonight (after laundry, grocery shopping, making of lunch for tomorrow and Friday, and replanting of herb garden of course)...Little Anna Paquin is so cute and precocious and she reminds me of Lucy in Hideous Kinky (see EOM note below).

This week? I'm hopeful for Shakespeare in the Park this weekend, this is my last chance to see the awesome Liev Schreiber as Macbeth...can I get there early enough? You have to line up as early as 7:30 or 8 am to get tickets, so I'm going to give it a try...wish me luck :-)

*And a special note for EOM: I watched Hideous Kinky this weekend for about the 50th time and thought of you "in Bilal's Village" aaawwwww!! That little Lucy is so cute, she is so the daughter I'm going to have one day....I decided to reread the book on Sunday as well, which I don't think you've read yet, but I should send it to you...its just as good (I sort of like the movie better, but that's mainly due to the cute little actresses who play Lucy and Bea).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes--it's such a good movie! ...and no, I haven't read the book, but I bet it's good. I actually just put Hideous Kinky on our Netflix queue b/c Larisa hasn't seen it yet. Those two little girls acted so well in that, and wasn't that the movie that sealed our love for the name Lucy? (First was Cocteau Twins w/the "you amaze me" song right?)Hey--do you have Netflix? If so--we should share movie queues!

Love,
The Essence

Aleena the Cleric said...

Squeeze-Wax!!

and don't forget: You are a woman just as you are a man... aaaaaahhhhaaahhhaaaaa - remember me singing that to you at 620? And falling asleep when country music came on? And we almost did the Ball Action?

I'm stuck in Memories of the Essence!!

Anonymous said...

...and remember that it would have been funny if a cab ran over me crossing 116th? ...lol...oh yeah, and coffee with whipped cream...

Anonymous said...

What about Suzanna Smiles (or whatever her name is) or Curley Sue? Are you forgetting RHODA???

Aleena the Cleric said...

Savannah Smiles!!! Aw, that was such a cute movie, the little girl is so cute that she turns bad guys into good guys...I didn't like Curly Sue, but RHODA is the CUTEST of them all...and I only say that because I'm scared if I don't say that, she will try to kill me with her shoes and you'll find me washed up on the pilings...