Tuesday, September 04, 2007

This was supposed to be a difficult weekend. I was having “issues” which I don’t want to name here for fear that I will jinx myself because now things are more peaceful and I'm superstitious so I’m just keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer that all is well. Normally, when I have “issues”, work is a welcome respite – I can focus on little tasks and not think too much about my real life. But this was a long weekend, with a short day on Friday so I knew I had better keep myself busy or else I would fall into my tendency to sulk and stew and reinforce any and all negative behavior and feelings with a three-day long hermit-like Pity Party in Jackson Heights. So, as a result of All the Nice People in My World, I was kept busy, I was kept distracted, I was kept smiling and feeling good in the head and the weekend passed with little drama. Saturday in Astoria was a ton of fun at Cousin Megan’s House – we drank lots of beer, played Wii for about 4 hours, giggled a lot, ate some Movie Nachos at Superbad (which was Superfunny – but totally a “guy” flick in a lot of ways but really sweet at the same time) and woke up supersore from the Wii playing and isn't that sad? Sunday, I met Jany and Floating Head and we shopped and walked and went to the MOMA – which is just not my favorite museum, since I really despise most modern art – lets face it, most of it is pretentious crap, the three of us were in agreement on that – we are just the ones being honest enough to look at the square canvas painted all black and admit it, instead of the Wannabees who try to come up with interesting drivel to say about it. Then Jany invited us back to Forest Hills where she cooked us a lovely dinner in her lovely apartment. Yesterday, I met Floating Head – again! Isn't she sick of me yet? – for some spicy coconut salmon noodle soup at Republic and then we went to the sand mandala destruction ceremony at the Rubin Museum of Himalayan Art. FANTASTIC. When she and I visited here a week ago, the artist had just started and was working on the very center of the mandala and there was no one watching him really but now the room was packed and the actual destruction of it was beautiful. There were 10 traditional Tibetan dancers – men and women – who came and played instruments and sang and danced and stomped all over the mandala until it was smeared and dust was everywhere and no images remained. It was very powerful to experience, especially since I had such a negative week, it felt good to watch this. Let them stomp on all the things I’d like to get rid of as well! Bad vibes, begone! And so it is!

0 comments: