Monday, April 27, 2009

Flickers, Butterflies, Robins, Mr Softee and Me

A summery spring weekend - the weather was actually okay by me, despite my earlier griping about it being too hot too soon - there was no humidity, so I didn't suffer when I was out and about. Mostly, I did a whole lotta nothing. But that's okay - I feel like during the week, I'm always going and going, and so it's as if I need to get my center back on the weekends. I spent almost all of Saturday outside, reading and resting my eyelids (as Grandma Max used to say) underneath a tree in Brooklyn. I did make it out to the Botanical Garden as I wanted to, but was a touch disappointed because again, my timing is all off. Last year, I waited too long to go and everything had bloomed and died already because the weather was so funky. This weekend, not much was in bloom yet, not even the cherry trees, which was the main objective. I love the cherry trees and magnolias in bloom - nothing is more glorious then to walk under them and have a little breeze blowing and knocking the blossoms off so it's as if there's pink snow falling. Still, it was pretty and I found a quiet spot under a tree by a little creek to read and peoplewatch and be peaceful. And there were flickers in my tree - which a birder told me was a type of woodpecker, otherwise I would have just referred to them just now as "those noisy birds in my tree" - and a million robins and the first butterflies I've seen yet. I stayed until 6 or so and then bought a Mr Softee chocolate and vanilla swirl and sat outside the museum - it was almost as relaxingly good as a day in Cayucos-by-the-sea. A spoonful of sugar-type medicinal kind of day.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Plus, the Red Sox swept the Yankees - I ALWAYS enjoy that...the Mets...well, we won't talk about that yet...talk to me in June and we'll see how I feel about them then. I feel like they are still finding their way - it is only the first month of the season, so I'm willing to give them some time to work out the kinks.

Plus, I had a nice long phone chat with my Snow White Sister - she always makes me laugh and smile.

Plus, its only 10 days until my Texas Adventure...

Plus, plus, plus...lets see what else this week will bring...only good things I hope - I need more of them, please dear Universe - thank you in advance!

0 comments: