Friday, April 24, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Fennel & Orange Salad

Last week, I was too crazed and weary so I didn't do any sort of cooking - at least anything special - so I didn't stick to my ONE NEW RECIPE A WEEK rule that I set for myself. But as I prepared the following recipe last night - after a bit of a crazy/somewhat moody day for me - I realized something: it makes me feel better and calms me to do this, even something as simple and as quick as this little salad. And because it's really healthy and super tasty, I'm also taking care of myself and I know when I'm going through my not-so-high-on-life times, taking good care and making yourself feel special is important. Plus, you feel like you've accomplished something in a small amount of time. Cut, peel, toss, follow directions, et VOILA! You've got yourself a good thing. It's a mini-meditation too, something to focus on completely and forget what stresses or ails you at the moment.

And yes, I did get this from the Gwyneth Paltrow GOOP website, but it's Mario Batali's recipe, a touch altered by me. I added walnuts since I had them and was craving them and I love the combo of walnuts and orange together. This was my first encounter with fennel - turns out, I love fennel! First, the way it smells is ridiculously lovely but it has a mild taste (I think) so don't be put off if you don't like licorice or anise. I think I need to find a roasted fennel-type recipe soon.

Fennel and Blood Orange Salad
(a regular sweet navel orange works fine, I didn't find anything special about the taste of the blood orange, except that I had to make an extra stop when shopping for ingredients to find a fruit & vegetable stand that sold them - and yes, I'm whining, the stand is just across the street from the grocery store, but STILL)

SERVES: 4 TIME: 5 minutes

2 fennel bulbs cut super thin

1/4 cup fennel fronds (the wispy green leaves that look like dill from the top of the fennel - I thought this was unnecessary - it didn't add much)
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves - adds a good tang!
4 blood oranges - removing the skin was too much work, I just cut each segment up into small pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Toss it all together - like I mentioned, I toasted some walnuts and let them cool and then added them. Wonderful, light, yet a whole bowl of this was my dinner last night and I was full.

Monday it was 45 degrees and stormy-rainy, today its going to be 70 and this weekend, maybe up to 88 - I don't like that. Be consistent, please. I'm not ready for summer hot and sweatiness, it's still only April. 70's is fine. 80's go away, come again some other day...in July. I think I better head to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden this weekend - if this keeps up, either stormy cold or stupidly warm, I may lose all chance to see the flowers and cherry trees in bloom and we wouldn't want that, now would we?

0 comments: