Friday, April 17, 2009

Worst Week EVER

It was really really really really really really really bad.

BAD.

Mostly just work wise but then I've had a bit of insomnia on top of it so that just makes it all that much worse. It began - as most weeks do - on Monday when I was given a project, a somewhat straightforward query/report request which I began right away. Halfway done, I leave for the evening, thinking "I'll finish it up in the morn". Wouldn't you know it, I get in on Tuesday - our network is down for most of the day so my files are inaccessible. Not wanting to waste time, I just start over, thinking OH WELL, lets be proactive and just forge on ahead, undaunted. I'm thinking I'm done with the request Wed morning but then I'm barraged with alterations, "can you bring in this, can you design it this way, can you remove these fields" etc. I was here until 8:30 on Wednesday fixing it all up. Then, weary me heads home, something is wrong with the Queens trains at 51st Street and I end up not getting home until close to 10pm.

All I can think is: Life SUCKS.

Then, we find out something is funky with our database, some of the data is wrong, I'm going to have to basically start over from scratch but I'm exhausted and almost in tears I'm so stressed out and I run to cry to my boss and tell him I just can't do this, I can't work on this anymore, I'm going to drop dead, I can't stay late again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, etc. So he steps in, takes my files home to work on them and so saves the day. Sort of - it was good he helped me because he got to see how very near impossible this query was, how complicated - we decided the name of the query should be TheBigBitch.xls because the file was so massive at this point - we were up to column EQ! - and that I wasn't such a loser for having broken down into a puddle last night. I felt bad that I didn't "execute" the way I normally do and so I bought him a giant chocochip cookie as a thanks. Plus I felt really bad that he stayed up until 2am working on it. Then I did the second half of the file this morning - took me a good 2 hours and then finally I'm done, it's out and I'm still reeling, really, my head hurts, my blood pressure still feels sky high. I seriously thought I was going to have a brain aneurysm, I could feel my temples pounding because of the stress.

I need a glass of wine. And I need to sleep. And I need to have a nice, peaceful, beeyooteefull weekend. For next week shall come soon enough and who knows what lurks and looms ahead. The Boss is out for the whole week and so it will either be quiet or oh so noisy because everyone that would normally go to him is coming to me.

I vote for quiet!

0 comments: