Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Great Pumpkin Moon!


Yes, summer is truly over - how do I know? Well, last night, I spotted this season's first pumpkin moon rising overhead as I got off of the train and headed home - I LOVE ADORE big fat peachy pumpkin harvest moons. The most perfect thing is when they show up on Halloween - I remember one Halloween as a child and we were walking home from Trick or Treating and there was a the biggest, most orange moon I'd ever seen and it seemed so low to the street, I swear I could have walked to the end of San Bernardino Avenue and touched it. But I was slightly scared of it too and so I didn't try. But I get very excited when I spy them at this time of year because I fully expect to see one or more of the following:

1. a witch on a broomstick riding past
2. ET and Elliot on a bike
3. The Man in the Moon face from the French silent film Le Voyage de la Lune (or better known from the Smashing Pumpkins "tonight tonight" video
I have to add that the word "fat" + Smashing Pumpkins keeps making me smile as I type this because it makes me think of my college friend Eve and she and I would listen to SP (and Blur, and Velvet Underground, and and and..I could go on but I won't) a lot and hooking onto particular lines - in this case, our favorite was "fat with promise" and it became a thing we'd say to each other - i.e. she saw me in Hewitt (Spewitt - although why'd we call it that, the food wasn't that bad - how much lentil stew did I eat in my time there?!) dining room and I had a nice big bagel with cream cheese that looked appetizing and she started laughing and said "that bagel is fat with promise" - and it was. So I guess the Fat With Promise Pumpkin moon makes me believe it is a harbinger of things to come, things totally fat with promise.

So look up in the sky tonight, people...tell me, what do you see...?

0 comments: